Friday, October 28, 2011

Dare I Start Again

I am almost hesitant to post this...restart my blog after a 3 year hiatus. What with Facebook and other social media venues, blogging seems almost passé. However, I was amused as I read back over some of my earlier posts. So, here I go again!

It should be called fate that I happen to restart this blog almost an exact 3 years after having made my last post. The last post was a humorous picture encouraging shoppers to order their Thanksgiving turkey that I took at the Hipercor (think upscale Walmart) near my house. At the time, Thanksgiving wasn't anything here in Spain. However, here I am 3 years later, on a committee to plan a Thanksgiving celebration for approximately 120 people. That IS a lot of turkey... especially in a country where the largest Tom weighs in at 8 kilos (17 lbs). Mom told me we would need approx 40 lbs (18 kilos) of turkey to feed 60 adults (the rest are kids).

The other day I walked into Hipercor to ask about ordering the turkeys and approximate cost, when I told the butcher I would need the birds for the end of the month his face lit up and he said "Ahhh!!! Para el Día de Acción de Gracias!"... I felt identified. It actually felt good that someone, not American, knew about a tradition near and dear to my heart.

Now, if I could only convince the rest of the Spaniards that Hallowe'en is not an American tradition and that we don't impose all our holidays on Spain. We just take the best of what there is from around the world (Hallowe'en, St. Patty's Day, Cinco de Mayo, and the Running of the Bulls a.k.a. San Fermín to name a few) and add our unique American touch to it, that's all! We are days away from celebrating Hallowe'en Spain style. We have had our annual NS (bilingual family fungroup) Hallowe'en party. Now it's time to carve our pumpkin!

No comments: