Friday, April 06, 2007

When in Rome...

With Easter right around the corner I thought it would be fun to dye Easter eggs with AR and possibly with all his friends in Northern Stars. His ever-doting grandparents* lovingly sent him an Easter package which contained a Dudley the Rabbit Egg Coloring kit....certainly brought back childhood memories!

Last week just prior to our weekly marathon food shopping trip I made sure to include an extra dozen eggs on the list. What was I thinking? Have I really been living here so long that I have forgotten some of the basic differences in the food category? We went to one of the overrated hypermarkets which I so completely despise. You need two hours to walk 5 kilometers down immense aisles of products just to finish your weekly grocery shopping which would have taken all of half an hour in a conventional supermarket. One would think that with such variety and choice it would have been no problem to find a dozen white eggs. Well, no such luck. Eggs here are brown. Once in a very great while you can find a dozen white eggs. Last weekend was not one of those great whiles. No problem finding small, medium, large and extra-large brown eggs... in half dozen, 10-egg, dozen and 18-egg and 3 dozen flats. Even quail eggs abounded. But no white eggs. It would have been really cool to find white quail eggs...that way they would be baby-sized to color for Easter. I know, I am asking for the impossible.

So, I am holding out for tomorrow when we brave the crowds and do our weekly shopping yet again. Maybe I can convince Angel that it really is worth it to go to a normal supermarket...maybe just maybe they will have white eggs...

*his grandparents are, of course, my parents. His abuelos are Ángel´s parents. The change in language is an easy way to distiguish the two sets of proud grandparents! :)

No comments: